Skip to main content

Finding Jesus in Psalm 2

 


Everything in Psalm 2 can apply to Jesus and his life. In the end, his kingdom will be victorious. Verses 1-6 are threats from the enemies to the kingdom of God. Then, in verses 7-9, we hear the promises made to Jesus. The poem ends with the advice to submit to him.

  1. Why does the world rage, and the people plan in vain?
  2. The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 
  3. "Let us break their bonds apart, and cast their cords away."
  4. He who sits in the heavens will laugh; the LORD will have them in derision.
  5. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them with his fury.
  6. Yet I have set my king on my holy hill of Zion.
  7. I will announce the LORD's decision: He said, "You are my son. Today I have begotten you.
  8. Ask of me and I will give you the world for your inheritance, and the ends of the earth your possession.
  9. You will break them with a rod of iron; you will smash them in pieces like a potter's jar."
  10. So wise up, you kings; be warned, you judges.
  11. Serve the LORD with respect, and rejoice with trembling.
  12. Kiss the son unless he becomes angry, and you perish from the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who trust in him.
Verse 1: If we read this poem as applying to King David, we can translate this line as, "Why do the heathen rage . . ." Or we could replace the word "heathen" with Gentiles or nations. But if we're going to read this verse as applying to Jesus, "world" best conveys the idea that Jesus died for the sin of the world.

Verse 2: "The kings" are Herod and Pilate. Their power and political system is in conflict with Jesus' kingdom movement. Jesus' kingdom is not like the politics of this world. Jesus' message is counter-cultural. 

Verse 3: If we are going to follow Jesus, we have to pay attention to his words. Jesus invites us into a new way of life--a new way to be human. And the way to completely follow Jesus is by leaving behind the old worldly way of doing things and embrace the way of Jesus--a way that is gracious, generous, forgiving, and merciful.

Verse 4: When we say "Jesus is Lord," we are saying Jesus is king--not just of heaven, but of the whole world. In the end, everything will be subjected to him. In the end, everyone will bow before him.

Verse 6: Zion, metaphorically, can mean the church and all God's people.  Literally, Zion was a hill on the northern part of Jerusalem and there was a fort called "the city of David." Sometimes Zion is used to refer to the city of Jerusalem. The temple in Jerusalem was built on a hill. (Maybe this helps us with the phrase, "city on a hill.")

Verse 7: Doesn't this sound like what Jesus heard at his baptism? Also, this verse expresses the Jewish idea that the king is in a special relationship with God--God as Father and the king as a son.

Verse 8: The whole world is Jesus' inheritance because he is the Son of God and one day he will be Lord of all. 

Verse 9: Jesus weeps over the city of Jerusalem because they rejected his call for peace. A few years later, the city was destroyed by the Romans.

Verse 10: There's still time for us to embrace Jesus' teaching and his way of life.

Verse 11: Some translations use the word "fear" in this verse. But what that word is trying to express is a sense of the awesome and glorious majesty of God. We should rejoice at the grace we have received.

Verse 12: Kiss sounds strange, doesn't it? Among the eastern nations, it was a sign of subjection and adoration. If we're reading this poem as applying to Jesus, then the "son" is the Son of God. And if Jesus' way is the way of life--that means, if we are not following him then we are walking in the way of death and destruction. But if we do follow Jesus, we will find blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take 2: Abraham and Sarah

Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow or word count. In Genesis 12, the focus moves from God and the world to God and the family of Abraham. The promise God makes to Abraham--to give him a family and land--is foundational to the story of Israel. God is going to bless Abraham and his future family so that they will be a blessing to the world. But Sarah is barren. And that's the tension. How are they going to have a baby? They're old. It seems impossible. God likes to confront the impossible. Genesis 15:1-6  is a story with a sense of non-fulfillment. Abraham has been given a promise, but that promise has not happened yet. God goes to Abraham and says, "Don't be afraid. I'm your shield." Rather than praise, Abraham respo

Take 1: Genesis 2 and 3

  Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow. *Note: I type out a sermon manuscript and I keep my word count to 1500 words. We call Genesis 3:1-8 the fall, but the word "sin" is not in the biblical text. Certainly this story influences what theologians call "original sin," but we cannot base that concept on this story alone. When I was a kid, I used to think Eden was a paradise and Adam and Eve were lounging about in hammocks and eating grapes. Eden is more like a farm. Adam's role is a servant, to serve and keep the garden. In Genesis 2, we see there's a community of people, animals, and the earth. That sounds like a farm to me. As God comes near to create Adam, this feels like foreshadowing of the Incarnation--when God

Meet Your Guide on this Theological Adventure

Greetings, my dear reader friends! My name is Aaron, and I’m the pastor at First Church of Clyattville—that means I have the great privilege of serving alongside a wonderful community of believers, sharing in the joys and struggles of this journey we call faith. When I’m not preaching, or teaching high school English, you can find me at home with my lovely wife Rachel, our two daughters, Ella and Lydia, and our beloved rescue dog, Peaches (not pictured above). They are the lights of my life, and I am grateful for their love and support each and every day. As for my background, I come to this blog series with a deep passion for theology and a desire to explore the riches of our Christian faith. I believe that theology is not just an intellectual exercise, but a vital part of our relationship with God and with one another. Through this blog series, I hope to share my love of theology with you and to learn from your insights and perspectives as well. So, whether you are a fellow pastor, a