Skip to main content

Easter: Cutting Room Floor Edition

 

I started this blog as a place to share things that didn’t fit in my Sunday sermons—because it didn’t feel right in the flow of the sermon, or the word count would have been too high, or I thought it was too technical or nerdy to include.

If you’re wondering, I start with handwritten notes, then move to typing a manuscript.


Maundy Thursday, Luke 22:1-27. 
Luke attributes Judas’ action to Satan. This passion narrative (the story of Jesus dying on the cross and the events that led up to it) includes political and spiritual conflicts. There’s a bigger fight taking place out of sight. Something cosmic—that’s what I think is meant by spiritual warfare.

The Last Supper is Jesus’ twist on the Passover meal. Jesus dying at Passover feels tragic. And I’m sure it complicated things for the disciples living through it. Because Passover remembers God’s deliverance. As Jesus dies on the cross, it looks like God’s ability to save has failed. But we, who know how the story ends, know this is the way a new deliverance is taking place. The New Covenant is fulfilled in Jesus’ death.

Notice how this reading ends: The disciples argue about who is the greatest. Then Jesus turns the idea of greatness on its head. There’s a difference between the political kingdoms of this world and Jesus’ kingdom.

The point: We are not to be like the world. We are to benefit others by serving.

Good Friday, Luke 23:32-43.
The Greek word Luke uses for the criminals is wrong-doers. 

Luke is a wonderful storyteller and some of the most beautiful stories in scripture are in his book. But in this story, the action is so short. The writing is terse. There’s only three words, “... they crucified him ...” The gospel books don’t glory in the suffering of Jesus on the cross. The gospels aren’t interested in describing how Jesus suffers.

In verses 35-38, there are two groups, the people and the leaders. The people are regular folks. The leaders have some form of power. The people might have been responsible for what led to this moment, but now they’re not participating. They’re not protesting, either. They’re watching.

There’s a division in the crowd. Some are seeing what’s happening to Jesus and they stand still. They chose not to participate any more. Some are urging it on. They’re making the choice to continue.

Do you remember Mary’s song? It laid the foundation for Jesus’ ministry—some would be lifted up and others would be cast down. We’re seeing that play out.

The repentant thief says, “Remember.” This word is going to be important for the rest of this book. In this moment, God hasn’t forgotten. God now acts in saving ways for his people.

Easter Sunday, Luke 24:1-12
If you watched my Easter sermon at First Church of Clyattville, you heard me say the phrase “deep dawn” because that’s what the Greek says in this text and I think it’s beautiful. 

Honoring the body of the dead is huge for our Jewish friends. They view it as a kindness that can’t be repaid. There are 613 commandments in the Old Testament. Some of those are related to caring for the body of someone who has died. Even today, Jews ensure the body is not left alone before burial. Friends and relatives will sign up for shifts to sit with the body. They have a ritual for washing the body with water. Then, after the body is buried, they start comforting the mourners.

In Luke’s book, Jesus seems like a homeless wanderer. And we see a tenderness with the body of Jesus in these opening verses. There’s a community who tends to him.

The angels say, “Why do you look for the living among the dead?” We have a tendency to go back, to want things they way they were, to find inspiration from the past. I think part of what this line is saying is, Focus on what continues to live. It’s not just Jesus’ death that matters, it’s his life. His life continues, and that’s what we embrace.

The women’s belief is grounded in remembrance and trust, not in direct experience. They are opened to new possibilities. As we relate to this story, most of us don’t have a direct experience of Jesus showing up to us and saying, “I was raised!” Instead, we have words and memories passed to us that we can trust, and we can be open to the future that creates for us.

You know, different people have different experiences and testimonies to what has happened and the way the world is. We should take seriously the people whose experience in the world is different than ours. Don’t quickly dismiss what people are telling you is their truth. Maybe they know something in a different way than you.

Peter.
(I didn’t even touch Peter or verse 12 in the Easter sermon because 2 years ago, Peter played heavy in that Easter sermon.)

Peter runs to the tomb. As he looks in, he sees a linen cloth. No body. He wonders what happened. It takes a lot to change how we see the world, and Peter’s world has changed forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take 2: Abraham and Sarah

Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow or word count. In Genesis 12, the focus moves from God and the world to God and the family of Abraham. The promise God makes to Abraham--to give him a family and land--is foundational to the story of Israel. God is going to bless Abraham and his future family so that they will be a blessing to the world. But Sarah is barren. And that's the tension. How are they going to have a baby? They're old. It seems impossible. God likes to confront the impossible. Genesis 15:1-6  is a story with a sense of non-fulfillment. Abraham has been given a promise, but that promise has not happened yet. God goes to Abraham and says, "Don't be afraid. I'm your shield." Rather than praise, Abraham respo

Take 1: Genesis 2 and 3

  Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow. *Note: I type out a sermon manuscript and I keep my word count to 1500 words. We call Genesis 3:1-8 the fall, but the word "sin" is not in the biblical text. Certainly this story influences what theologians call "original sin," but we cannot base that concept on this story alone. When I was a kid, I used to think Eden was a paradise and Adam and Eve were lounging about in hammocks and eating grapes. Eden is more like a farm. Adam's role is a servant, to serve and keep the garden. In Genesis 2, we see there's a community of people, animals, and the earth. That sounds like a farm to me. As God comes near to create Adam, this feels like foreshadowing of the Incarnation--when God

Meet Your Guide on this Theological Adventure

Greetings, my dear reader friends! My name is Aaron, and I’m the pastor at First Church of Clyattville—that means I have the great privilege of serving alongside a wonderful community of believers, sharing in the joys and struggles of this journey we call faith. When I’m not preaching, or teaching high school English, you can find me at home with my lovely wife Rachel, our two daughters, Ella and Lydia, and our beloved rescue dog, Peaches (not pictured above). They are the lights of my life, and I am grateful for their love and support each and every day. As for my background, I come to this blog series with a deep passion for theology and a desire to explore the riches of our Christian faith. I believe that theology is not just an intellectual exercise, but a vital part of our relationship with God and with one another. Through this blog series, I hope to share my love of theology with you and to learn from your insights and perspectives as well. So, whether you are a fellow pastor, a