Skip to main content

The Wheat and the Tares


As we read Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43, it’s easy to imagine a thistle or dandelion as the weed that’s sown in with the weeds. The old KJV uses the word “tare.” The Greek is zizania. It’s a word for a weed that looks like wheat in the early stages. This weed wraps itself around the wheat stalk, essentially using the wheat stalk as a stability pile to pull itself up. So if you try to pull out the weed, you pull up the wheat as well. 

Based off this parable, a botanist conducted a study and tried to determine exactly which weed Jesus was talking about here. In his study he found some 19th century research where someone had taken the weed darnel and supervised experiments to find out how much of it was safe to eat. 

The experiments included feeding darnel to horses and smaller animals in varying amounts. If an animal eats enough darnel, it will start to hallucinate. If it eats more, it will go into a comma. If a large amount is eaten, it is deadly. 

So this means the enemy who comes to sow weeds is NOT planting dandelions because he wants to make your life inconvenient; he’s planting a psychedelic, brain-damaging, comma-inducing, killer plant. This isn’t a threat to the crop. This is a threat to the harvest itself and its ability to be consumed. 

What does it mean when Jesus says to let the wheat and the weeds grow together? In his ministry, Jesus was very comfortable letting the “wheat” and the “weeds” hang out together. Think about the Last Supper, where Jesus knows Judas is the betrayer. Jesus doesn’t leave him out. Jesus washes his feet, shares a meal, and lets him hear the teaching. Then Jesus says, “Hey, man. If you’re going to do it, go ahead.” Jesus doesn’t kick him out. 

Jesus was very comfortable in a mixed crowd of rich and poor, sinners and saints. In Luke’s gospel, Jesus eats with Pharisees just as often as he eats with sinners. 

What’s the point? This parable tells us something about Jesus that we probably wouldn’t figure out on our own. Jesus came to seek and save the lost. And the truth is, everybody’s lost. This parable—even with the scary images of fire and gnashing teeth at the end—is a reminder of what grace is like. Grace is the reverse of judgement. Meaning, while we deserve punishment, we receive grace because Jesus took the punishment on himself. 

Robert Farrar Capon wrote, “Jesus on the cross doesn’t threaten his enemies, he forgives them … On the basis of Jesus’ ministry as risen, there is no change in that policy. He comes forth from the tomb and ascends into heaven with nail prints in his hands and feet and a spear wound in his risen side—with eternal, glorious scars to remind God, angels, and us that he is not about to go back on his word from the cross.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take 2: Abraham and Sarah

Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow or word count. In Genesis 12, the focus moves from God and the world to God and the family of Abraham. The promise God makes to Abraham--to give him a family and land--is foundational to the story of Israel. God is going to bless Abraham and his future family so that they will be a blessing to the world. But Sarah is barren. And that's the tension. How are they going to have a baby? They're old. It seems impossible. God likes to confront the impossible. Genesis 15:1-6  is a story with a sense of non-fulfillment. Abraham has been given a promise, but that promise has not happened yet. God goes to Abraham and says, "Don't be afraid. I'm your shield." Rather than praise, Abraham respo

Take 1: Genesis 2 and 3

  Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow. *Note: I type out a sermon manuscript and I keep my word count to 1500 words. We call Genesis 3:1-8 the fall, but the word "sin" is not in the biblical text. Certainly this story influences what theologians call "original sin," but we cannot base that concept on this story alone. When I was a kid, I used to think Eden was a paradise and Adam and Eve were lounging about in hammocks and eating grapes. Eden is more like a farm. Adam's role is a servant, to serve and keep the garden. In Genesis 2, we see there's a community of people, animals, and the earth. That sounds like a farm to me. As God comes near to create Adam, this feels like foreshadowing of the Incarnation--when God

Meet Your Guide on this Theological Adventure

Greetings, my dear reader friends! My name is Aaron, and I’m the pastor at First Church of Clyattville—that means I have the great privilege of serving alongside a wonderful community of believers, sharing in the joys and struggles of this journey we call faith. When I’m not preaching, or teaching high school English, you can find me at home with my lovely wife Rachel, our two daughters, Ella and Lydia, and our beloved rescue dog, Peaches (not pictured above). They are the lights of my life, and I am grateful for their love and support each and every day. As for my background, I come to this blog series with a deep passion for theology and a desire to explore the riches of our Christian faith. I believe that theology is not just an intellectual exercise, but a vital part of our relationship with God and with one another. Through this blog series, I hope to share my love of theology with you and to learn from your insights and perspectives as well. So, whether you are a fellow pastor, a