Skip to main content

Take 4: Passover and the Golden Calf

 

Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. This blog is a place where I share what wasn't said in the sermon.

Last week for the Passover story, I asked one of my Jewish friends what she thought happened to the Israelites who didn't put the blood of the lamb on their doorframes. I was surprised when she said she believed God passed over them anyway--but, because they didn't have the faith to take that first step, they didn't have the faith to walk through the Red Sea.

This week, we have the story of the golden calf in Genesis 32. What interests me is not what people do but why they do what they do. So, why did the people make a golden calf and worship it?

Let's remember, these Israelites are a people who have been slaves for their entire lives. Then they have an epic experience of God delivering them from slavery and oppression. God leads them to the desert and provides manna for them daily. Now, Moses is gone. He's been their representative for God. They probably feel helpless and confused about what to do now that God is NOT dramatically present and there's only silence.

Where is Moses? Moses is up on the mountain receiving instructions for the tabernacle and for proper worship. While at the bottom of the mountain, the people are engaging in improper worship. Oh, the irony.

But this story is more complex than, "There was a golden calf and that was bad."

Put yourself in the Israelites' place. What do you do when your leader is gone? When he's been gone for 40 days? You take matters into your own hands. Because there's an anxiety to waiting. And the people want something concrete.

To get real Bible nerdy on you: The gold for the tabernacle comes from voluntary offerings. So when Aaron asks for gold jewelry, it's like he's doing the same thing, but with a misguided twist.

Also, 1 Kings 12 is going to reflect on this story. Years into the future, after Israel has divided into two kingdoms, Jeroboam--the king of the north--makes two golden calves and places them at Dan and Bethel. 

So if these two stories are connected, they may be asking the same question: Are they worshiping a false god or worshiping God falsely?

Another topic that stands out in Genesis 32 is God's anger. We love hearing about God's love and grace and forgiveness, but here we see there's a dangerous side to God. God doesn't want people to worship falsely or to violate his promises. Maybe this story is meant to make us uncomfortable. Or maybe it's warning us that if we "tame" God then we're worshiping a false god.

And what about God repenting? The word for repenting can also mean "changed course of action." That means the deeper question is--Is God changeable?

I think it's important that our ideas about God come from the Bible, not from English poetry, not from Greek philosophy.

Looking at the story of Scripture, we see God is establishing a relationship. Relationships have a back-and-forth, give-and-take nature to them. To engage with God in meaningful ways seems impossible if God will never change his mind or never be moved.

But when we look at what is really happening in the text, we see God has said he will keep his covenant promise. God sticks with his original plan. God's promises are bigger than our failures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take 2: Abraham and Sarah

Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow or word count. In Genesis 12, the focus moves from God and the world to God and the family of Abraham. The promise God makes to Abraham--to give him a family and land--is foundational to the story of Israel. God is going to bless Abraham and his future family so that they will be a blessing to the world. But Sarah is barren. And that's the tension. How are they going to have a baby? They're old. It seems impossible. God likes to confront the impossible. Genesis 15:1-6  is a story with a sense of non-fulfillment. Abraham has been given a promise, but that promise has not happened yet. God goes to Abraham and says, "Don't be afraid. I'm your shield." Rather than praise, Abraham respo

Take 1: Genesis 2 and 3

  Do you ever have a conversation then immediately think, "I wish I would've said that?" I feel that way almost every Sunday. So this blog will be a place where I share things that I wish I would have said or things that were cut from the sermon because of timing or flow. *Note: I type out a sermon manuscript and I keep my word count to 1500 words. We call Genesis 3:1-8 the fall, but the word "sin" is not in the biblical text. Certainly this story influences what theologians call "original sin," but we cannot base that concept on this story alone. When I was a kid, I used to think Eden was a paradise and Adam and Eve were lounging about in hammocks and eating grapes. Eden is more like a farm. Adam's role is a servant, to serve and keep the garden. In Genesis 2, we see there's a community of people, animals, and the earth. That sounds like a farm to me. As God comes near to create Adam, this feels like foreshadowing of the Incarnation--when God

Meet Your Guide on this Theological Adventure

Greetings, my dear reader friends! My name is Aaron, and I’m the pastor at First Church of Clyattville—that means I have the great privilege of serving alongside a wonderful community of believers, sharing in the joys and struggles of this journey we call faith. When I’m not preaching, or teaching high school English, you can find me at home with my lovely wife Rachel, our two daughters, Ella and Lydia, and our beloved rescue dog, Peaches (not pictured above). They are the lights of my life, and I am grateful for their love and support each and every day. As for my background, I come to this blog series with a deep passion for theology and a desire to explore the riches of our Christian faith. I believe that theology is not just an intellectual exercise, but a vital part of our relationship with God and with one another. Through this blog series, I hope to share my love of theology with you and to learn from your insights and perspectives as well. So, whether you are a fellow pastor, a